Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Cecilia's experience working at the hospice

Tim has written the blog for the past couple of months. So we thought that I should share some of my thoughts and experiences. I have been working at the adult hospice of the St. Francis Care Center since early in December. My tasks have evolved a little in that time. But now I help with serving the breakfast, mid-morning tea, and the noon meal. Sometimes I help feed one of the patients.

But the majority of my time I have been massaging the patients feet and legs. There are several reasons why this is important and appreciated. The disease of AIDS can cause peripheral neuropathy of the lower extremities which causes pain and poor circulation. Some of the strong medications given to combat AIDS also cause the same leg problems as a side effect. Then there are also many of the AIDS patients who also have tuberculosis. A number of these people have tuberculosis of the spine which causes them to be paralyzed from the waist down. And some of them are then having problems with contractions of the muscles in their legs. So the massage is useful for them.


There are two or three women who massage professionally that volunteer at the St. Francis Care Center one morning a week. So I have had the opportunity to observe and try to imitate some of their helpful work. And since I am there five mornings a week, I am able to give some relief to the patients on a more frequent schedule.

I value this opportunity to be of service in a manner that is helpful to others. I find that it is fitting my faith life at this time. I am grateful to be a part of the Franciscan Mission Service and to be working as a missioner.

3 comments:

  1. Cecilia,

    It's great to read more about your ministry. Thank you for the work you are doing in comforting and helping the people of South Africa. I know, too, how they are blessing you as well and I give thanks for the exchange you are experiencing there. Peace and God's Love to you, Tim and those you accompany.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Cecilia. Through your updates, we are all learning more about the devastations of AIDS, but also, the care and support we can offer. As the stigma of AIDS reduces, I believe we will all become more aware of someone in our lives that live with HIV/AIDS. I have a good friend who is HIV+ and she suffers greatly from leg cramping. Massage was a relief we could offer. They are lucky to have you. I look forward to more updates!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing Cecilia. I am sure you are also a great presence with the patients as you massage them. May God continue to guide you and Tim!

    ReplyDelete